Summer Camp cooking programs like Camp Weequahic’s help campers learn their way around the kitchen by teaching them how to make fun snacks. Eating a warm chocolate chip cookie that one helped bake makes a second home feel even more like home, and it’s a special treat to which many campers look forward. In fact, some of the treats campers whip up in the cooking studio have become part of Camp Weequahic tradition. Camp Weequahic cooking instructors also teach campers tips for making some of their favorite snacks more nutritious as part of an overall effort to help campers maintain a healthy lifestyle while at camp. Here’s one of our favorite recipes from the Camp Weequahic cooking studio:
No Bake Choc Chip Truffles
1 cup soft butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp water
1 (6 ounce) package mini chocolate chips
· Cream butter and sugar together.
· Add remaining ingredients and mix well by hand.
· Roll into bite-size balls.
· Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Store in a plastic zip-type bag in the freezer.
· Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before eating. (Makes 4 dozen)